Wednesday 15 October 2014

WINOL Sportsweek 15th October 2014 - Feedback



Presenting
-          Drew, you look tired. Get some sleep – or do less work!
-          In all seriousness though, again, you were calm and composed presenting but you really need to ‘punch’ through those headlines – you are not selling the show to me, you are just telling me what I can see.  Really sell it!
-          I’m going to make a rule in regards to the OUTRO at the end of the show. No more “Goodbye” – I don’t think it works. Keep the ending simple with a promo of the website, or say “Make sure you join us next week for all the latest from WINOL Sportsweek”
-          Think we should give somebody else a presenting opportunity next week – let’s see what others can bring to the party – I’m not sure presenting is for you Drew, I just feel that enthusiasm in your voice enough to really sell it. If you get the chance to watch any of Angus’ work, have a look. The way his tone is for everything he does in a studio is truly excellent. Or take a look at how Winchester Alumni Aarran Summers presents/presented. I work with him here out in Doha for the beIN Sports News bulletins every day and he has really learnt how to sell it.

Headlines
-          Nice to see them back. I think you need them. Don’t be afraid to write longer script for your headlines. Remember, this is what attracts your viewers to the show – if they aren’t good, then the rest of it won’t be. Grab their attentions immediately. I don’t think they quite did that this week.

AFC Totton vs Bridgwater – Elliot Buckley
-          First of all, am I right in thinking you showed the fight before the goal, even though the goal was first? “Bridgwater Town had taken the lead prior to this” – BIG, BIG NO. I don’t care how big of an incident it was….don’t show us something before we are meant to.
-          I like your VO – it’s calm and self-explanatory, but like Drew, just try and sell it more for us – sound excited about it! This is big for WINOL Sports – non league football! Really sell it to me. Also, just be wary of your accent. As I said last week, pronunciation is key, so do not rush your voice….be patient and take your time. It’s not a race to make the quickest VT.
-          Straight not to tell us EVERYTHING we are seeing. I can see it, so I don’t necessarily need you to tell me what I am already seeing. Think about ways to script your VT without stating the obvious.
-          Really like the end – quite funny actually and very receptive by the fans. Nice way to end it.
-          No post-match interviews? As I said to the others last week, for future reference I think this is a must every game.

Winchester v Christchurch – Rhodri Cannon
-          First of all Drew & Rhodri, well done for mentioning Leigh Mills but I think you’ve missed a trick here. That is a story within itself. There should have been two separate stories here – one for Leigh Mills and one for the game. Just a thought…..if you didn’t have enough to make a VT for Leigh Mills why not just do a link to the managers talking about him? Also, it was a short soundbyte…..I imagine more questions were asked how Mills, how Winchester were going to cope without him, his reasons for leaving. I know why because I asked some people and I read up on it but our viewers don’t. I would have linked to a straight up interview of the managers and ALL the reaction to Leigh Mills leaving Winchester. AND DON’T BE AFRAID TO RUN A LONGER INTERVIEW – IT’S BIG NEWS FOR THE LOCAL FOOTBALL TEAM – I WANT TO HEAR AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
-          AND THEN….I would have come back in vision and gone with something like this….”Well with Mills having departed Winchester, the Citizens had to quickly regroup and turn their attentions to league against Christchurch on Tuesday night. Our reporter Rhodri Cannon was at the Denplan”
-          Right, Rhodri your match VT……first of all…..where on earth is the first goal? I saw the equaliser, but I didn’t see the opening goal. We must see it.
-          Penalties…….show the penalty incident EVERY TIME. Penalty incidents are talking points. Was it rightly awarded, was it not? The Christchurch manager at the end referenced those decisions yet we only saw the 2nd penalty incident. We have to see that too. Don’t leave anything out.
-          Is there a random cut during the celeb of the Own goal? It just cuts bizarrely – just double check the edit on that!
-          BIG, BIG NO Rhodri. “Winchester completed the rout, as they ran out 7-1 winners” – nice line, but where on earth are goals 5 and 6?! I don’t see them! There were 8 goals in this game and I haven’t seen 3 of them – HUGE RESULT AND SCORELINE! We want to see goals – was there a reason they were left out? Did you miss them? Or did yu choose not to put them in? Drop me an email and let me know.
-          VO was calm and collected again. Emphasis though – really sell this game to me! There’s always been a bit of a fear factor with voicing VT on WINOL – don’t be afraid to really go hard on your voiceover artistry.
-          “Rhodri Cannon, WINOL” – lose that completely! Just end your VT on the manager talking. It was a nice way to end. He was angry at the referee’s performances. The game has already finished and then you show the game still going on….get what I mean? Just end it on the manager. We didn’t need an SOQ there.


Ultimate Frisbee – Amy Catlin
-          Amy, I think you’ve done a great job with this. Your voiceover was great, it was informative, and I genuinely found the piece very interesting.
-          I even think the guy you interviewed was an intriguing and well-spoken man too.
-          There’s not a huge amount I can say to critique this in all honesty. I really enjoyed it.
-          I liked your OUTRO – you moved it forward by telling us when their next tournament is, so make sure we pursue that and get that on WINOL next time.
-          Overall this was a good VT, it was simple, it was interesting and it had that balance between feature-like and news-like. Very well done Amy.

Overall
-          Still some vast improvements to be made team but that will take time. It’s a new team so it will take some time to bed in. Just keep enhancing your camera, editing and voicing skills.
-          Drew, the duration is a real issue for me. I don’t know how restricted you are in terms of manpower but I think you need to get voicing a VT. You are sports editor, you lead the team and all we’ve seen from yu is presenting links for Sportsweek – this is YOUR show which you editorialise and control. You are the senior person on the sports team so set the bar high and the team will follow. Move away from the presenting next week- see if somebody else fancies a shot – get back out in the field and get working on those VTs.
-          I feel the VTs, particularly the football ones are a bit short. Are you telling that in 90 minutes of football we can only get 1’30 of game time into a VT. Don’t be afraid to go further and do more. I want to see as much of these games as possible. Sportsweek if your show guys, you are not restricted to a set time. We MUST start getting this show over 10 minutes and then expanding on that from there. There were some weeks as sports editor that I would film a game on a Saturday, edit it on the Sunday, then interview a sports personality on the Monday, edit that Monday/Tuesday daytime before going to film another game on the Tuesday night and having it all ready for the Wednesday WINOL News bulletin. It is hard work but you will reap the rewards of expanding your showreel, putting in the hours and making your work count. This is the perfect platform to do just that.
-          Keep working on those views – promote and plug your programme anywhere and everywhere – get those views up and running!

P.S. I have a full MOV. Exported version of a beIN Sports news bulletin I produced and Aarran presented a few months ago. I am more than happy to send to you all if you would like to see it as a guide on how to structure a sports news bulletin. I think it will really benefit you to see the standards that can be set. If you want to see it then please email and I will get it sent to you.

 If you have any queries or questions please do not hesitate to contact me – my twitter is @G_Messenger or you can email me on messengerg@beinsports.net

No comments:

Post a Comment