Friday 14 October 2011

WINOL SPORTSWEEK 12/10/11 CRITICAL FEEDBACK



This week on Sport we have received some fantastic feedback from Angus, Brian, Chris and our guest editor for the bulletin Rachael Canter. So ye again, I can only thank you and congratulate you on all the hard work we have put in this week, but we must remember the hard work cannot stop now - we must continue this and work to improve every week.

Dael - I am have been very impressed with how quickly you have settled in and adapted to this role at Eastleigh. The fact you travelled away to Eastbourne to film a game out of your own time is fantastic, and to be there on your own is even better. Some technical notes for next week. Be sure to check your camera to see if the settings are done right before you even travel to the game. The last thing you want is to get there in a rush and realise the camera is all over the place. The widescreen image makes your package look messy, but the footage you have actually filmed is very well shot, and you have taken notice of the cuts to the celebrations and carrying the sound. Also, I don't know if you noticed but there is a black spot in your package just before the third Eastbourne goal. Just make sure you look through and cut out any unnecessary mistakes. Just makes it look a little untidy. The interview with Ian Baird as well is very well framed too! Your voiceover is clearly read, and the script is much better. More stats and facts and it was interesting to listen to and to more importantly watch. Well done.

Mikey - Presenting wise, I think that's the best sportsweek presentation I have seen in a while. Confident, clear and energetic on screen. Well done, and your package is very well shot, and very well scripted yet again. Same as Dael though, be sure to check the camera settings are adjusted correctly before getting to the game.

Aimee - Classic performance with the tables. Good work, and I will try to include more into the programme as we go on this term.

Henry - MUCH BETTER VOICEOVER. Clear, more animation and well scripted. You sounded a lot more interested this week mate, and what I like about you is that you come in, do your work to a good standard and offer your services elsewhere in sport or WINOL entirely. That's really good work mate and I hope you are enjoying your role. I would like to just see you get even more animated with your voiceover, make it sound like it was a brilliant game and keep the audience intrigued. Filming was spot on again.

Sam - A hard week for you mate but you have worked really hard and you have produced a package which probably suited you. I said to you to be creative and experiment with final cut pro and that is exactly what you did, and even thoughit wasn't as newsworthy as we waned it to be, you made the most of it and you put a lot of effort in. I have spoken to you already about your package but just as a reference on here, remember with interviews, get to their eyeline, bring the tripod down, get them to stand up, do whatever you can to make your VT look brilliant. I loved the changes in speed as wel with some of your shots, especially the one with the moving grass. It would been nice to get some really good shots of athletes but obviously no-one was there so you had to adjust. Well listened when I said to get some shots on the ground and some zooms. It made the package look so much better than just a plain old empty stand from a distance. Good work and looking forward to Boxing this week coming!

Connolly - Very very good AGAIN. You did so well to cut all of them goals in the Ice Hockey into a one minute 30 seconds VT, and I'm glad the replay looked good. It added something dfferent to the piece and we were lucky we got an incident like that occur. As said in the debrief, the first two goals look IDENTICAL so just try and get a cutaway shot in there to create a gap in there because it just looks like the same goal. I will get you doing some football soon, but I think you are so settled in this role at Bison at the moment that I think it's important we keep the highlights consistent for the first few weeks until we can mix it up.


NEXT WEEK

1) Michael Connolly will present Sportsweek. If anybody wants a go at presenting the bulletin let me know.

2) Basingstoke Bison player/coach Steve Moria is 90% coming in on Tuesday for an in-studio analysis/chat for Sportsweek. I am going to confirm on Monday, so if he does, talk to him and make him feel welcome.

3) Dael, Mikey and Henry will go to Eastleigh to film. Mikey you have an idea of what I expect, but I want a camera behind the goal Eastleigh are attacking (just to the side of the post), and I would like another cameraman running up and down the line with the play - so close images of throw ins. Dael, this will be your package and you will need to organise meeting Mikey and Henry so you can all go together. Also, could you phone Eastleigh and let them know that three of you will be there.

4) Sam and I will be going to Basingstoke to do a 2 camera shot. This will be my package again Sam because I want you to focus on your Boxing piece on Monday night.

5)Connolly can you do Bison again please? If Steve is in on Tuesday we will need Bison highlights to refer to so I will need Bison again this weekend, and I will do my upmost to get somebody along to help you film and be imaginative over the next couple of weeks.

6)Henry, I'd like you to work on a dodgeball feature please. We need new sports, and we need university sports. So this is your main project this weekend and this week coming. Let me know if you get anywhere with that.

7) Sam, well done arranging that Boxing piece. Looking forward to that, remember what I told you - lots of shots, close ups and general views, interview with lots of people. Make it what you want to make it. Experiment and have some fun with it.

8) Mikey, can you try and get me an Olympics story this week please? I know you worked hard last week but we really need something strong. And also, can you get in touch with Totton and get a WINOL Woodwork sorted. I can come with you and help you film if need be.

8)Tonight (Friday) there is a chance I will be interviewing former Zimbabwe international cricketer Henry Olonga in Alresford so let's hope that pulls through!

9)IMPORTANT - My phone has currently been blocked so I cannot message or make calls to anybody, so if you need me you will have to ring me and ring me until I pick up, or instead find someone else to get hold of and let me know. I am currently trying to resolve the problem with Orange. So, as I cannot ring I need EVERYONE to make sure they have a camera booked out for this weekend please, and if you don't have one booked them let me know asap! I already have 2 HD kits booked out but do not want to book one out for everybody if I can. Also, use old tapes if you have to for the 2nd and 3rd camera angles and only film when action is near you to get the best available shots. New tapes for stand camera please.

10)We are not hitting our target audience quick enough. I must stress the importance of our audience and our views. Having the views and having the audience is what gets us the top marks. I do not think we're doing enough promoting. The only one or two who has sat putting the link on forums, blogs, twitter accounts, facebook pages are myself and Dael. Sam put it on his facebook but you have to remember not everyone will look at that. We need it literally EVERYWHERE. Mikey and Connolly you need to plug and promote. You guys know how important they are and I haven't seen any of it from you guys so please please take 10-15 minutes out of your time. Same with you Henry - get the highlights on the Rugby website please!

11) Match reports into Aimee ASAP! The individual video highlights will be on "winolsports" today.

Well done this week lads. A very good and successful week! eep it going, work together, work hard, and work quickly.

Thanks a lot,

Your Sports Editor

Gareth

No comments:

Post a Comment