Saturday 8 October 2011

WINOL SPORTSWEEK 05/10/11 CRITICAL FEEDBACK

General points

• This week was our first Sportsweek for this year, and I consider it a successful one in terms of productivity and content, but in terms of views we are way behind what we should be targeting. We need to attract a larger scale audience, and I think it’s important to emphasise how important the viewers are for us. If we do not get people watching our programme then all the work we put in goes to waste.
• I can only thank and congratulate people on the hard work and effort they have put in this week, and it was good to see all of you working hard and putting in 100%. The second years especially (Dael, Henry and Sam) I am very impressed with the work and commitment you are putting in. Hopefully, these first two weeks on WINOL have given you an idea of how intense it can be, and trust it will get harder because I will be pushing everybody to produce more content, better quality and to be quicker in terms of editing.
• We need to sharpen up on our camera skills. Visually it was good to watch. Mikey obviously we had your mistake in terms of the settings at the Totton game. You should know better than this and we should not really be having errors like that from somebody who has been on sport for 3 terms, but as a positive, your scripting was fantastic as per usual and you worked hard to get to Totton and edit it down quickly so well done. Sam, we had an issue with the colour of your package. I put the ND filter on but I still stick that it was the best plan because it was so bright at Winchester and we did not want to risk any overexposure.

Individual Feedback


• Dael – In terms of presenting Dael, I think you did very well. You seem clear, focused and exciting to watch which is good. Hopefully the experience of presenting Sportsweek will give you some much needed training for when you come to present the actual bulletin. In terms of your package, visually it was good. We had some good shots and a lot of action in a short space of time. As a critical comment, I think we need some work on your scripting of your piece because at the moment it is (This person scored a goal, then 10 minutes later this person scored again) – it’s a little repetitive and we need to just brighten up the package and make it more exciting. Also, try and put in more cutaways of celebrations. As soon as the goal is scored, cut to the close up celebration and carry the sound long. Angus loves that, and it just looks and sounds so much better. But other than that, well done and keep working hard.
• Mikey – As I said, no comments about scripting as it was very ood and I especially like the introduction to the piece. In terms of filming, just another error again which is becoming a common trend with you my friend. Just make sure everything is set up a good half hour or so before a game so that when it comes to kick-off there are no obvious amendments that need to be made putting you in a rush. You will present Sportsweek this week and hopefully we get an Olympics story from you soon!
• Sam – You looked like you enjoyed it and for a first time out filming you did well. It was very tricky with the sunlight as it was so bright, and in terms of filming the goals and keeping the camera steady on that rickety stand you kept your composure. Think we need some help on your scripting too. There are too many gaps in your package. Remember to introduce an interview by putting in some clever commentary, I don’t want to hear “Guy Butters said” so maybe go for something like “Manager Guy Butters was pleased with his side’s display” or something like that. Try and fill out the package as well, at times it was too quiet and felt a little boring so just fill out the voiceover with bits of information about the game. Maybe some stats. We love stats. E.g. “Jamie White completed his hattrick on 75 minutes......the former Southampton striker scoring his first goals for the club after a quiet start to his Winchester career” something different. As for your presenting n the bulletin, I still actually haven’t seen it but I have spoken to Will and he said you were very very good so well done in that department and I hope you enjoyed the experience.
• Henry – Rugby is hard to film and can get quite boring because usually at games like this there isn’t a massive crowd, but the filming is very good. I think we spoke about your voiceover, it is a little too slow, and it sounds like you are really bored, but I think that’s you being over cautious more than anything else, so try and get a bit excited about it! Very good though, and I was impressed with how switched on you were this week and how determined you were to get the work done.
• Connolly – I cannot really criticise this week. Best package of the week by far. It was an exciting game that had everything, and you may sure you had some close up shots, of skates, helmets, pucks etc so really good. Your voiceover was very good as well (with a little help from Angus) – you got excited about it and that’s what we need. We need vibrancy so that’s good. P.S. NEVER SAY “DOOKED IT OUT” EVER EVER AGAIN.

Next Week


• Even though we were organised and committed last week, I want the same this week. So as soon as the debrief finished start editing and get your work done as quickly as you can to a very good standard.
• We need sports news stories. I need everybody to come in with ideas. Can be absolutely anything, come in with something and then we can go on with that. I found it insulting that only a few people “enjoy watching sport” during the bulletin, because let’s face it, they wouldn’t know how to work at the intensity we do. Let’s just remember that on average Sportsweek finds 800-1000 viewers each week so let’s make a point to everybody and keep that record going and more importantly, improve it. I don’t want us to prove anything to anybody else in WINOL, we just do what we have to do. I’m not making this a war, but I think some appreciation is required by the WINOL team as a whole for the work we put in because we work on weekends whereas they literally come in on Mondays and get given a story or find it there and then. So let’s come in with some news stories, with some different new sports, some feature ideas. Let’s work hard to receive the reward we deserve.
• We’re not promoting Sportsweek enough. Facebook, Twitter and emails is not enough. We need to get our show on clubs’ websites; we need to get their fans watching it. We need to get away supporters watching and supporting it. I will be writing our total views on the board and I will set us targets. If we do not reach that target, I consider it a fail.
• Work on voiceovers. It is vital we get our scripting sorted soon. Anybody who needs some help or advice go to Mikey as he is very good. Any technical issues come to me.
• I need links written to me early on Tuesday. Try not to write a link which is similar to your first line so for example NONE OF THIS, “Dael Gornall was at Eastbourne to see if Eastleigh could kickstart their season.” ------ROLLVT ----- “Eastleigh were looking to kickstart their season at Eastbourne this weekend” – it sound smessy, so links into me for Sportsweek as soon as on Tuesday so if we need to mix them up and change them we will.
• Mikey Smith will present Sportsweek this week, and Aimee Pickering will do the Tables.
• If anybody wants a shot at presenting the bulletin let me know. I haven’t got anybody in particular in mind at the moment so let me know. If not I may give it to Jake and have an OB from outside, well that isn’t up to me but I’ll pitch the idea to William
• Mikey is now doing the Winchester package because Sam is away, so Sam I need a news or features piece from you please! A womens team? A university side? Have a think and pitch it to me Monday.

Thanks you for everybody’s hard work. Please do not feel like I’m having a go, just take this as constructive criticism for everybody to learn from. Keep the hard work going, be committed, work together, be a team.

Regards,
Your Sports Editor

Gareth

No comments:

Post a Comment