Saturday 3 October 2009

Padang in turmoil at the force of nature

It was a reality check for me today when I bought The Guardian. To think how lucky I was to be at university in one of the greatest countries in the world, when thousands of people are struggling to survive the effects of arguably 2009's strongest natural disaster.

The death toll has apparently risen to over 800 people, although The United Nations fears that this figure could climb to well over 1000. Another 600 are feared dead after being buried by rubble and landslides in three Indonesian villages, but the reality is that any sign of life has or is quickly fading away.
The earthquake, which occurred two days after a tsunami hit the islands of Samoa, has shocked the world into action with Australian naval ships sending aid on boats, and British servicemen being flown over from Gatwick and Heathrow airports to help rescue any survivors.
I don't intend to earn any hero status, but if I had the opportunity, I would bust a gut to be there now helping those poor unsuspecting civilians. Yes, unsuspecting. It begs the question as to whether our technology should be going to warnings systems and the survival of the world's citizens instead of new fancy cars and 'ultra-fast' planes.

If so much money is already being spent on warning technology, then why isn't more? Why are there not already breakthroughs or some form of solution? I'm not saying a whole planetary region can be warned, all I'm saying is that it will give people an option to respond before being caught.
My heart goes to the victims and their families. Tragedies may kill a portion of mankind, but the spirit of humans will never be destroyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment