Monday 9 November 2009

Send our boys home!

Not a topic I'm that keen on when I first pick up a newspaper, but after reading The Independent, along with information that my housemate's friend died in Afghanistan on Sunday night has forced me to resort to the blog in order to send my message across, albeit one which has been replicated over the past four or five years by the general public.

It must be an unimaginable feeling, knowing that your relative is in another continent fighting a war which now has relatively no meaning. At first there was a reason, and a fine one at that-to fight terror, but years later and now our main aim is to train Afghan forces so that they are capable of running their own country. Why should we? Who made us the leaders of their country? Regardless of their situation, and the status of it, why is it that our people have to suffer at the expense of others.
Do not get me wrong, I would respect any member of my family that wanted to go to war, but that wouldn't stop me from quite frankly "bricking" every minute of every day, worrying about their welfare, or whether they have any welfare left on this planet.

Hundreds of British soldiers have fallen in Afghanistan, and for what? For a better world, or simply at the expense of our politicians' errors? The Taliban continue to 'exterminate' every person they see that 'isn't worthy' to roam their lands, but quite frankly, "Who on earth are you?" The answer: Cowards! Forced to hide in their own lands then attack when least expected, how bold is that of somebody who is fighting for what they believe? When I used the word exterminate, I found it topically humorous. Any Doctor Who fans would agree with me when I relate the Taliban to the Daleks. Full of hate and anger, and killing for no real cause or belief-just because they have received an order from a man who has never experienced happiness, so then uses all his power possible to destroy the happiness of others. The Daleks never truly experienced emotions, and the same can be said for the Taliban. No emotions, no feelings, nobody to love. How sad to know this is true.

When my housemate from upstairs revealed the news on Sunday that her best friend's boyfriend had been killed, it stunned me (and trust me it takes a lot for that to happen). The thought that somebody I know well has just been taken from this world, and with no real purpose as to why. Yes he was fighting for his country and may God reward him in his later life, as well as all our other troops, but my main question is what are we fighting for now? Our main target of 'trying' to resurrect the security of Afghanistan recently came back to haunt us after an Afghan police officer shot five of our men during a joint training operation. Then escaped on a motrobike which had been waiting for him, this more or less sums up the irrelevance of this whole operation, and along with that, the controversy of our troops being shot down by allied forces a couple of years ago is barbaric.

Okay people reading this may believe me to be a naive young man who still has a lot to learn in life-well I agree with you. I do have a lot to learn, but isn't life about learning constantly and increasing our knowledge, and one main thing I urge within this blog post is please send our boys home!
Enough is enough. The old saying of "If it ain't broken don't fix it" doesn't apply because Afghanistan is monumentally broken. However, why try to fix the unfixable? Pardon me for my use of metaphors and similes in this serious blog, but Afghanistan is like Humpty Dumpty-a fragile object which breaks easily-it is already broken and has been for years, and now our best idea is to just leave it and it's terrain and return for the sake of our people, and even our economy. Indeed the recession is worldwide, but do we really think we would be in such bad a state had we not gone to war?

To all our troops fighting for our futures, and even the futures of innocent Afghan people-Thank you. You have the support of the whole nation, and let's pray that one day, you ALL will return home.

G.M

2 comments:

  1. I love the metaphors included in this, especially the Daleks, very amusing!

    May I point out that 'all the kings horses and all the kings men, TRIED to put Humpty together again'; it would be wrong not to at least try to help. -Surely you must agree that we shouldn't withdraw and let terrorists rule a country without trying to protect the innocent?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It helped that I was watching Doctor Who at the time!

    Of course not-our main priority is to always protect the innocent from the threat of invasion/terrorism/harm etc, but who made it our responsiblity, and why should we sacrifice our own for the sake of an already ruined country?

    ReplyDelete