Tuesday 29 September 2009

Media Law (Lecture 1)

At first I was concerned as to what to expect when I walked through the doors of the Tom Atkinson building, although my anxieties were quickly settled by the presence of my good friend Jake Gable, or as I know him, The Gooner. Before the actual lecture itself we embarked on setting up our blogs, which in theory allowed for myself to write this current post.
I think the course was put in perspective during the lecture when Chris exclaimed there is a possibility I could be sent to prison for contempt of court, something that I do not aspire to during the years I am alive. This crime can range from taking any recording equipment into the court room, to misquoting or harassing a witness or member of the jury, and I for one do not intend to throw away my years in some cell.
Chris also talked about libel laws, and the fact that the United Kingdom has the most hostile of them on the entire planet. The prospect of being sued thousands of pounds (something I don't have until I fulfil my dream of winning the lottery) doesn't really appeal to me.
I did learn two new things in this lecture though. Firstly, I obtained the knowledge the High Court is separated in three divisions: Queen's Bench, Family Division, and Chancery Division. The Queen's Bench deals with civil and criminal jurisdiction, whereas Family Division sees such cases as divorce and matters regarding child welfare, and the Chancery Division sorts out issues of complexity such as disputes over property settlement; and bankruptcy. The second thing I learnt in this lecture is that crimes are divided into two main categories: these being arrestable and non-indictable offences, and that crimes only offences against the state of the public in general, whereas civil law is classed as disputes between citizens.
Was my first lecture what I expected? I'm not going to lie, it was exactly what I expected. Not just the opportunity of greater knowledge, but furthermore the reality of today's media world.

3 comments:

  1. This is OK - but does not really bring much extra to the party. It really just a summary of what people who were present would have heard anyway. Still it is interesting to see that you were listening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this gives a good overview of the lecture and will be helpfull when revising the subject, and more importantly, interesting to read! (unlike my blog what seems to be complete information which i am now kicking myself for!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok thanks for advice Chris. Any information as to how I can improve that? and yeah Charlotte I've relatively been known for being Mr Information and not Mr Explanation lol hopefully I can better this :)

    ReplyDelete